Thursday, May 13, 2010

Village Chapel Development Fund (Part 2)

Travelling along the winding gravelled Padawan Road past Kampong Belimbing one can be forgiven if he/she misses Kampong Tatuk as it is a small village of scattered dwellings. I for one thought that this was part of kampong Braang Belimbing in view of their proximity.

I had on two occasions in 2007 visited the village accompanying Friar Joseph Goh. The first visit was on April 8, 2007 to preside the election of the village church committee. I was amazed with the resilience of the group despite all the difficulties. Firstly, the small community is a group of five families but they managed to form their village church committee. Secondly, many of them actually worked and stayed in the city. If I not mistaken, Mr. Poster Sungu, the Chairman stayed in Taman Landeh. But during the weekend they would return to the village to meet their love ones and assemble as one community at St. James’s Chapel.

When I asked Catechist Stephen Jawum which chapel in his opinion to be assisted first, the answered was St. James’ kampong Tatuk. Seeing the condition of the building I tend to agree fully.

No comments: